Mould. A danger to your health if not removed immediately……or completely.

Mould is caused by the growth of Fungi. Fungi, in turn, are plant like organisms that grow in dark and damp conditions. As it breaks down the surface it is attached to it produces toxins etc into the air. Herein lies the problems and why we need to manage mould in buildings.

This process causes respiratory problems for humans. If exposed for too long to a particular fungi you can become allergic to it. Developing allergies is something we all would want to avoid so it pays to avoid living in environments that encourage it.

Mould on wall in cupboard

Mould on wall in cupboard

 

To avoid this it is important to remove it completely from the building. If it is not removed in the first 24-48 hours it will have sufficiently attached itself to the material to prevent complete removal without removing the material itself.

In other words you can’t cover it up, you have to remove it. In removing mould or fungi and/or materials it is attached to it should be treated like asbestos.

Care should be taken in the process of demolition and respirators should be worn. Of course it does not end there. The water source feeding the fungi must be sourced and eliminated too.

 

 

Moisture Reader checking for leaks

Moisture Reader checking for leaks

The wall with mould on it shown in the picture above backs onto the wall in the shower containing the taps. Moisture reading

around and below these taps was positive, suggesting a current leak and backing up the observation that there is a dampness issue that needs urgent attention.

If you think you have found mould it will pay to consult in the first instance a reliable home inspector. If this is confirmed further investigation may be needed, such as a plumber to trace leaks in walls etc, or even an Occupational Hygienist if the problem is serious enough.