Would you be expecting to be advised if the stove and hot plates operable and safe when you had a home building inspection on the home you are hoping to buy?


Ovens, stoves, hotplates, and indeed any electrical or gas appliance in the home should be regularly serviced by a qualified technician. When you purchase a new home the same applies. It is a good idea to have them checked.

Can you except your inspector to check these? Or should you consider inviting the various services technicians to come and check the equipment.

Turning equipment on or off does not indicate if the particular piece is in good condition or not, whether it is serviceable and safe.

As your inspector we fulfill a role not unlike your family doctor. We can diagnose most things in a building but we are not necessarily an expert in everything that is “house”. Sometimes we will need to refer you onto a specialist, like a structural engineer if the cracking in your walls is of concern to us, or the walls are leaning excessively. We might want to refer you to a pest control company if we are concerned about termite activity we assess or a slat damp specialist if we see rising damp.

When it comes to equipment, that is a different storey. A building inspector cannot be expected to be an expert in the range of equipment that can be part of a house.

Appliances such as air conditioning, automatic garage door mechanisms, swimming pools and associated filtration and similar equipment, the operation of fireplaces and solid fuel heaters, alarm systems, intercom systems, stoves, dishwashers, incinerators, ovens, ducted vacuum system etc are not checked. There are too many manufacturers and models to do justice to checking appliances.

We therefore recommend that you have all such equipment serviced by the manufacturers authorised agents as soon as is practicable after moving in.